Log In
Share Print Bookmark

 St. Michaels' Churchyard, Cherry Burton, Lincolnshire, England


Headstones

 Thumb Description Status Location Name (Died/Buried)
Robert Crompton
Robert Crompton
In the early 1900s workmen dug-up 2 brass plates/plaques in St.Michaels' Churchyard, Cherry Burton. They were buckled but straightened and placed on a wooden base, then put inside the rebuilt church under the tower. These brass plates/plaques are for the Crompton family and have their coat-of-arms on with other quarters thus:

First plaque on the left of wooden base/backing: the first half on left side is Crompton, the second half on the right side of this shield is Haldenby, Luddington and Gawtree. Underneath: Ferriby (or White/Wright), Usflete and Furnival.

Second plaque on right side of wooden base/backing: All of the first half on left side is Crompton. All of the second half on the right side is Usflete.

Note: at least one publication we know of wrongly cite some of the quarters.

These quarters came into-being via the marriage of a Robert Crompton who married Anne Haldenby in 1614, Robert having been buried at Cherry Burton in 1646. Anne was a daughter of Francis & Elizabeth Haldenby, Elizabeth being a daughter of Sir John Wentworth of Elmsall.

Raymond E.O.Ella 
    Robert Crompton (bur. 10 Sep 1646)